Cross Country Meets
Youth meets and races are more than competition--they're also a ton of fun! The DeKalb Trailblazers season will consist of several low-key development races (hosted by other area running clubs) and will culminate in the USATF Georgia Junior Olympic Cross Country association meet. The clubs who host the developmental meets are youth running clubs just like ours. The events are run by parent volunteers from the host club (with help from other teams as needed), with the purpose being to give our athletes a competitive experience in a relaxed environment.
The final few meets are part of the USATF Junior Olympic program and are a fantastic way to end the season. For individuals that do well at the USATF GA association meet there are additional opportunities to compete at a higher level if desired (completely optional). The 2022 regional USATF JO XC meet (consisting of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina clubs) will be held in November (date to be announced). Athletes participating at the regional meet will have a chance to then qualify for the 2022 USATF National Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships in December (December 10, 2022 College Station, TX) where, traditionally, more than 3,000 youth cross country runners of various age groups compete against each other.
Cross country race distances are determined by age and consist of trail runs across several types of terrain (woods, fields, gravel trails, etc) at distances of:
- 2K (1.24 miles) for athletes 8 years old and under
- 3K (1.86 miles) for athletes 9 through 12 years old
- 4K (2.49 miles) for athletes 13 and 14 years old
The 2022 season schedule of meets will be updated when dates are available. We hope to participate in 4-5 developmental meets in September and October and culminate with the USATF GA Junior Olympic XC Championship in November.
2022 MEET SCHEDULE:
- Saturday, September 10, Alpha Crush XC Invitational, Milton, GA (Time TBD)
- Saturday, October 8, Etowah Youth Track Club XC Meet, Boling Park, Canton, GA (Time TBA)
- Saturday, October 22, Trojan Elite, Location TBD, Carrollton, GA (Time TBA)
- Saturday, October 29, Peachtree City Flash XC Meet, Fayetteville, GA (Time TBA)
- Saturday, November 12 - USATF Georgia Association Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships, One Church, Fayetteville, GA
- *Saturday, November 19 - USATF Region 4 Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships, (Location TBD Georgia)
- *Saturday, December 10 - USATF National Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships, College Station, TX